We take your security very seriously. If you think you’re the victim of identity theft, we’re here to help. Please follow the steps below to secure your identity:
1) Call us to freeze the account
- Call us immediately at 1-855-697-3825 to freeze your card and share any details you have about the situation. We can block the account from further activity and begin an investigation.
2) File a Police Report:
- Contact your local station. Ask to file a police report. Once you have filed the report, you may need to contact the police station again in order to receive a copy.
- Update Petal: Respond back to this email updating Petal that you’ve filed a report and are expecting a copy soon
- Send us the report. Once you receive the report from the police department, send a copy back to this email or to email@example.com.
- Once you’ve received the police report, send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or reply to this email.
Please note that if we do not receive a police report within 30 days of opening the investigation, no further action will be taken to close this account. The credit line will remain on your credit bureau report and you will be responsible for any charges.
3) File a Credit Bureau Dispute Report if Petal is reflected on your credit report.
- Contact all three major credit bureaus and have them do the following:
- This will stop someone from using your personal information to open a credit account or get utility service
- Let them know about the fraudulent accounts opened in your name and request that the fraudulent accounts be removed from your credit file.
- In most instances, a credit reporting agency will investigate your complaint within 30 days. Each credit reporting agency will forward information about the identity theft to Petal. Once Petal receives the notice, we’ll report back to the credit reporting agency and close the account. You can reach these credit bureaus at the following phone numbers:
- Equifax: 1-888-766-0008
- Experian: 1-888-397-3742
- TransUnion: 1-800-680-7289
- Place a fraud alert on your credit records.
- Have at least one of the three agencies send a notice to Petal to dispute the account.
While we wait for the police report, please let us know about each step you take—it’ll help us resolve this as soon as possible. We understand this is a difficult process so let us know if you have any questions. We’re here to help!