How can I dispute a charge?

If you see a charge you don’t recognize and think it may be fraud, head to the "Fraudulent Charges" section below to read more.  

Charged for something you canceled or ordered something that never arrived?  Follow the steps below: 

Contact the merchant
  • While optional, the quickest way to resolve an issue with a merchant is often to get in touch with the merchant directly. It may take Petal some time to investigate your claim while the merchant may be able to resolve it within a few days.
  • For tips on contacting the merchant, click here.
File a dispute

If the transaction appeared on your statement less than 60 days ago:

  • Head over to the Activity Feed in your Petal account dashboard
  • Click on the transaction you’d like to dispute
  • Tap Contact Petal
  • Then, select I recognize this purchase, but there’s an issue
  • Fill out and submit the dispute submission form 

If the transaction appeared on your statement more than 60 days ago, or you’re not sure:

  • Give us a call at 1-855-697-3825

Charge Errors and Fraud Charges Overview

You can file claims about both charge errors and fraudulent charges on your account:

Charge errors
  • A claim about a charge dispute can be filed when you made a purchase with your Petal card but doesn’t look correct. Some examples of charge disputes are:
    • A charge that is higher than the amount on your receipt.
    • Your card was charged multiple times for one item (a “duplicate” charge).
    • A one-time purchase that you returned or canceled, but you still haven’t received a credit for it.
    • The description of the service or good did not match the delivered product.
    • A purchase you made that was not delivered within the guaranteed time frame (If this was a package that was lost after delivery, please see the FAQ below).
Fraudulent charges
  • A fraudulent charge claim can be filed if you find a transaction you don’t recognize on your activity feed, and you have confirmed wasn’t made by you or anyone permitted to use your Petal card.
  • If your card was lost or stolen, or you think someone used your account without permission, freeze your card and give us a call right away at 1-855-697-3825. You can easily do this by clicking on the transaction you'd like to dispute in your activity feed and clicking I don’t recognize this transaction. 


Do I have to pay the disputed amount?
During the investigation, you won’t be responsible for the disputed charge—it will be removed from the required payment until it’s resolved, and you should continue to make at least the minimum payment on your Petal card balance if there is one. When the investigation is finished, we’ll send you a letter with our findings and let you know if you’re responsible for the charge. 
Will I be charged interest on my disputed charge?
If you dispute a charge, you won’t be charged interest on that purchase during the investigation—we’ll add a provisional credit and debit to your account (read below for more info). However, if we find you to be responsible for the charge, you’ll also be responsible for any interest that would have accrued on the transaction. 
What’s the provisional credit on my activity feed?
When we start reviewing a disputed charge, you will see a 'provisional' credit on your activity feed. A 'provisional' credit is a temporary credit we place on your account after you have filed a dispute so you don’t have to pay for the transaction while we’re investigating. Although you don’t have to pay for it during the investigation, you can’t spend it either. When we finish the investigation, we’ll send you a letter with our findings and we’ll either permanently apply or remove the provisional credit from your account depending on the outcome.
Can I dispute a package that was lost or stolen after delivery?
Petal does not offer purchase protection for lost or stolen items after delivery. If your package was lost or stolen, we recommend contacting the merchant or reaching out to your local police department to notify them of the theft. 
Can I cancel a dispute I already submitted?
You sure can! Just give us a ring at 1-855-697-3825, and we’ll take care of it for you. 
Can I dispute a pending charge?
A charge that is pending cannot be investigated, so please wait until the charge posts before filing a billing dispute.
How long will it take to resolve a dispute?
Dispute investigations are usually resolved within 30 to 60 days, but it can take up to 90 days—we’ll be sure to keep you updated along the way! You can also check out the status of your dispute by clicking on the disputed transaction in your Activity Feed.
How long do I have to submit a dispute?
Once a transaction appears on your statement, you have 60 days to file a dispute in-app. If the transaction is outside of the 60-day window, or if you believe there was fraudulent activity on your account, give us a call and we’ll help sort it out.
What information is most helpful for a dispute?

You may be asked for some evidence to back up your claim, such as:

  • Copies of the original invoice, receipt or contracts.
  • Copies of email or written correspondence with the merchant.
Are there any restrictions on submitting a dispute for a charge error?

Yes, there are a few things to keep in mind when submitting a dispute for a charge error:

  • The purchase must have been made in your home state or within 100 miles of your current mailing address, and you must have paid more than $50 (if we advertised this product to you, or if we own the company that sold you the product, you can disregard these restrictions).
  • You need to have used your Petal credit card for the purchase
  • The purchase cannot be fully paid off 

For more information on filing a dispute, please refer to the Cardholder Agreement.

Was this article helpful?
102 out of 262 found this helpful