Disputing a Charge 101

If you see a charge you don’t recognize and think it may be fraud, learn more here

Charged for something you canceled or ordered something that never arrived?  Follow the steps below: 

  • Contact the merchant (optional)
    • The quickest way to resolve an issue with a merchant is often to get in touch with the merchant directly. It may take Petal some time to investigate your claim while the merchant may be able to resolve it within a few days.
    • Some tips for contacting the merchant:
      • Make sure to give them the date and amount of the transaction, and explain your concern.
      • Ask for next steps, or when you can expect a resolution.
      • Keep note of when you contacted the merchant, the name of the person you spoke with, and when you can expect to see a resolution.
  • We’ll take a look.
    • Please send an email to support@petalcard.com with the following information:
      • Dates and times of the transactions
      • Receipts
      • Transcript of your conversation with the merchant (if you contacted the merchant first and have a copy)


Charge Errors and Fraud Charges Overview

You can file claims about both charge errors and fraudulent charges on your account. Keep reading for more info. 

  • Charge errors
    1. A claim about a charge dispute can be filed when you made a purchase with your Petal card but doesn’t look correct. Some examples of charge disputes are:
      • A charge that is higher than the amount on your receipt.
      • Your card was charged multiple times for one item (a “duplicate” charge).
      • A one-time purchase that you returned or canceled, but you still haven’t received a credit for it.
      • The description of the service or good did not match the delivered product.
      • A purchase you made that was not delivered within the guaranteed time frame (If this was a package that was lost after delivery, please see the FAQ below).
  • Fraudulent charge
    1. A fraudulent charge claim can be filed if you find a transaction you don’t recognize on your activity feed, and you have confirmed wasn’t made by you or anyone permitted to use your Petal card.
    2. If your card was lost or stolen, or you think someone used your account without permission, let us know right away by calling us at 1-855-697-3825.



Do I have to pay the disputed amount?

During the investigation, you won’t be responsible for the disputed charge—it will be removed from the required payment until it’s resolved, and you should continue to make at least the minimum payment on your Petal card balance. When the investigation is finished, we’ll send you a letter with our findings and let you know if you’re responsible for the charge.


Will I be charged interest on my disputed charge?

If you dispute a charge, you won’t be charged interest on that purchase during the investigation—we’ll add a provisional credit and debit to your account (read below for more info). However, if we find you to be responsible for the charge, you’ll also be responsible for any interest that would have accrued on the transaction.


What’s the provisional credit on my activity feed?

When we start reviewing a disputed charge, you will see both a “provisional” credit and debit on your activity feed—don’t be alarmed! A “provisional” credit is a temporary credit we place on your account after you have filed a dispute so you don’t have to pay for the transaction while we’re investigating. Although you don’t have to pay for it during the investigation, you can’t spend it either—the “provisional debit” you see on your account puts a pending hold on the Available Credit until the investigation is complete. When we finish the investigation, we’ll send you a letter with our findings and we’ll either permanently apply or remove the provisional debit from your account depending on the outcome.


Can I dispute a package that was lost or stolen after delivery?

Petal does not offer purchase protection for lost or stolen items after delivery. If your package was lost or stolen, we recommend contacting the merchant, or reaching out to your local police department to notify them of the theft.


Can I cancel a dispute I already submitted?

You sure can! Just give us a ring at 1-855-697-3825, and we’ll take care of it for you.


Can I dispute a pending charge?

A charge that is pending cannot be investigated, so please wait until the charge posts before filing a billing dispute.


How long will it take to resolve a dispute?

Dispute investigations are usually resolved within 30 to 60 days, but there is a chance we’ll need more time—we’ll be sure to keep you updated along the way! You can also check out the status of your dispute by clicking on the disputed transaction in your activity feed.


How long do I have to submit a dispute?

You need to submit your dispute within 60 days of the transaction first appearing on your statement. Disputes submitted on transactions that appeared on a statement more than 60 days ago will not be considered unless it concerns a claim concerning a fraudulent charge and certain types of merchant disputes.


What information is most helpful for a dispute?

You may be asked for some evidence to back up your claim, such as:

  • Copies of the original invoice, receipt or contracts.
  • Copies of email or written correspondence with the merchant.

For more information on filing a dispute, please refer to the Cardholder Agreement.

Was this article helpful?
16 out of 27 found this helpful